Friday, November 22, 2013

Tracking down the last few

This morning I headed out to the coast before work. With the rain and wind that just came through this week, I thought clearing conditions might produce some bird movement out over the ocean.
  I wasn't disappointed.  Two female LONG-TAILED DUCKS led the way for a line of cormorants who were making their way towards a large feeding frenzy north of Pescadero Creek.  My first two Long-taileds that I have ever found myself.
  Tomorrow I am taking off on a try to the South Bay, then Sunol, and then the East Bay.  I may even make it out to the Central Valley.  I'm going to try to leave at about 5am.  That ought to give me a good headstart before first light.  I'm trying to get down to the South Bay fairly early to look for a Bar-tailed Godwit that has been seen down there lately.
  Some other birds I have a chance at include:

 Snow Goose- on the bay somewhere or in the Central Valley
 Tundra Swan- one was report recently somewhere in the South Bay
 Tufted Duck- A bird has shown up on Lake Merritt in Oakland for about 5 winters in a row.  Someon           reported in the other day.
  Barrow's Goldeneye-various SF Bay locations
  Painted Redstart-  Unbelievably one has been in Berkeley  for about a week now.  I sure hope it will stick around a few more days!

 I'll report more when I get back.

3 comments:

  1. Hey hey! Congrats on all your hard work. Super-pumped that you've been able to accomplish such an amazing and admirable task. Keep those species coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn I was out on Saturday to see the tundra swans but didn't get to encounter you... I have just discovered this blog a few weeks ago and I really look up to you and what you do. Good luck and hope you get more species!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! The amount of time and effort that you've put into your big year is amazing! Your total is going to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete